Microsoft Pureview Customer Key (or Customer Key for short) is an encryption service mainly aimed at resolving regulatory issues with the adoption of Microsoft 365. This is the product you need in the Microsoft Cloud environment if you have a regulatory requirement to have ownership and control over the keys used to encrypt data at rest.
Microsoft 365 already provides volume-level encryption through Bitlocker and Distributed Key Manager (DKM), but you have no control over the encryption keys used. Customer Key can encrypt with your keys data from Exchange Online, Skype for Business, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, and Microsoft Teams. The Microsoft services will use your key to make the various systems work.
You’ll have the option to let Microsoft generate your RSA Keys or upload your own. All the key management capabilities are done through Azure Key Vault. Once Microsoft checks that everything is going well, Microsoft 365 uses your keys to encrypt data at rest.
While Customer Key adds additional security against unauthorized access to data, it’s not intended to restrict Microsoft employees’ ability to access your data. Instead, that feature is provided by Customer Lockbox. Customer Lockbox ensures that Microsoft can’t access your data without your consent.
- Once you encrypt SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, and Teams, there is no going back to Microsoft Managed Keys.
- The loss of the root encryption keys can have catastrophic consequences. Various precautions can be taken to avoid common errors but keep this in mind.
- Microsoft keeps an availability key, which functions the same as your two keys. This key is used by automated processes and aims to provide recovery capabilities from the loss of the root keys you manage. To learn more follow this link: Availability Key in Customer Key | Microsoft Docs
FEATURES LIMITED BY THIS SERVICE:
- None that I’m aware of
- Being a Global Admin for the tenant
REQUIRED LICENCES: (One of the following types)
- Office 365 E5
- Microsoft 365 E5
- Microsoft 365 E5 Compliance
- Microsoft 365 E5 Information Protection & Governance SKUs
- Microsoft 365 Security and Compliance for FLW
Generally, the ability to create Subscriptions and an Owner role in those subscriptions. The subscriptions will host the Azure Key Vaults that will contain your keys.
- Ability to create Azure Subscriptions and Resource Groups
- Ability to modify permissions on Azure Subscriptions and on resources
- Ability to create and manage Azure Key Vaults and related keys
- You can leverage the Hardware Security Module (HSM) key protection by using a Premium Key Vault
To learn more, refer to the following link: